Mobile apps that make a difference!
WSA Mobile is a global initiative to select and promote the world’s best in mobile content and innovative applications within the framework of, and in cooperation with, the United Nations’ World Summit on the Information Society (WSIS), mandated by the WSIS Plan of Action and executed in collaboration with UNESCO, UNIDO and UN GAID.
Eight categories, One goal: Content that Counts
- Government & Citizen Engagement: services | open data | democratic participation
- Health & Well Being: medical care | sport | lifestyle
- Learning & Education: knowledge | science | skills
- Environment & Green Energy: climate | sustainable resources | agriculture
- Culture & Tourism: heritage | entertainment | subcultures
- Smart Settlements & Urbanization: mobility |productive work | sustainable living
- Business & Commerce: innovative services | security | finance | marketing
- Inclusion & Empowerment: diversity | gender | justice | human rights |
WSA-mobile emphasizes cultural diversity and identity, the creation of varied information content and the digitalization of educational, scientific and cultural heritage. It aims to make the benefits of the new Information Society accessible and meaningful for all humanity, and in particular, to raise public awareness and give deserved public recognition to the highest quality e-Content, produced all over the world.
WSA-mobile was started in 2010 as the sister-award of the World Summit Award for e-Content. WSA-mobile reaches out to mobile communities from more than 170 UN and UNESCO member states to organize its global competition for best and most creative mobile Content.
A global network of experts nominates the 8 best local apps to the global contest. The submissions are evaluated by an international Grand Jury, who select the 40 winners. The winners are invited to the WSA-mobile Global Congress to showcase their innovation on a global stage.